Category Archives: On the workbench

Rebel Transport for Star Wars Legion

So my old school Kenner Rebel Transports from eBay have arrived and the journey towards a combined cool scenery piece and miniatures storage solution takes a step closer.  This is a quick (picture heavy) update on progress so far.

First step was a clean up (yet another way baby wipes are awesome!)  Being unsure of how 35 year old toy plastic would take paint I settled on an initial top coat of Testors Dullcote.

In the UK  we have had unseasonably good weather (even for late Spring), so I concentrated on using spray cans outdoors rather than the airbrush.  As such the next stage was a base coat of Army Painter Uniform Grey.  (By the way, I love my airbrush, but with the volume and area I was going to have to cover, aerosols seemed like a quicker and more convenient route for this project).

The next stage was an airbrush highlight with Vallejo Game Air Light Grey.  I wasn’t too careful here, just tried to get a consistent highlight without worrying too much about the panels.  The deep lines on the main body of the toy were panel lined using a medium tipped black Gundam Marker.

2018-05-26 18.25.40

The weathering was done in stages with some brushed on streaking using Army Painter Strong Tone wash, some oil brush pens from ‘Ammo of Mig Jimenez‘ and then a bit more wash through the airbrush.  Following this to tie it all together I used a can of Plastic Soldier Company ‘Light Brown’ Weathering spray.  Now sadly out of productions these are water based weathering sprays that you apply and then partly wipe off to get a really grimy look (they are great for WW2 tanks).

I’ve concentrated initially on the upper half of the body.  The lower half contains a bit more detail which according the the reference images I am using needs a bit more variation in colour and detail.  That will be the next step, then following that onto the ‘storage solution’ part of the project.

All in all I am relatively pleased with the outcome so far.  I think the grey colour scheme is actually a bit too dark when comparing to images of the ships from the films, but it will do for me.  I may have gone a bit over the top on weathering, but I like the idea that this is a proper battered old ship that perhaps the Rebels have been reduced to using out of desperation.  The one thing I will probably change when I come to starting the second ship is the approach to the panels on the hull which had stickers on.  This time round I just sprayed over them and then coloured them red using a Gundam marker.  I think the red is a bit too stark (plus the paint ran a bit), and also the stickers underneath did start to lift slightly.

So a bit of one down and one to go.  Trying not to get distracted but I may just have got hold of an AT-AT or two (oh dear)….