“Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body”
A while back I enthused about the wonderful retro science fiction figures available from Cold War Miniatures in their Princes of the Universe range.
At the same time as picking these up I also purchased a set of STL files to allow me to print out a suitably retro rocket ship using my newly acquired 3D printer.
The model was provided in parts to print up, clean and assemble. It features a detailed interior with a removable roof and the option to model with steps up or down. Once put together this would provide me with a great centre piece to go with my Flash Gordon cast for 7TV Pulp.
The print time was fairly long across all the different components. I didn’t track it exactly, but when adding everything together I’d suggest that it probably took well over twenty four hours.
I printed the parts a few weeks ago when I was still tweaking the settings on my printer, overall however they came out with the need for minimal cleanup. I used a bit of plastic putty in some areas to smooth over rough parts of the print. As there are quite a few curved surfaces I also spent some time sanding.
Once I’d cleaned up the parts, assembly was straight forward. Superglue was used to assemble the components, all of which were printed using PLA filament. The roof is designed to sit loose on the model to allow miniatures to be placed inside and I also chose not to permanently attach the steps so these could be swapped out with the ‘ramps down’ version in future.
In terms of painting the plan was to go full on chrome and silver, however right at the last moment I changed my mind and went for a striking red and gold colour scheme. Although retro-styled to the 1930s pulp serials (as is the majority of the Princes of the Universe range); I wanted at least a nod to the classic 1980 Flash Gordon movie and this colour scheme fitted in well.
To further minimise print lines on the body of the ship I tended towards over spraying both when undercoating and base coating. I also wanted a glossy look to the paint job and just so happened to have a can of Humbrol Red Gloss acrylic lying around. By spraying closer to the surface that I would normally I was able to get a smooth finish on the (albeit not too course) surface of the print.
Other block colours were done using a variety of bright metallics in order to maintain the shininess. Black was used to pick out the windows and fine details.
In the second part of this article I’ll detail the interior and look at other similar models that are available for 3D printing.