So my old school Kenner Rebel Transports from eBay have arrived and the journey towards a combined cool scenery piece and miniatures storage solution takes a step closer. This is a quick (picture heavy) update on progress so far.
First step was a clean up (yet another way baby wipes are awesome!) Being unsure of how 35 year old toy plastic would take paint I settled on an initial top coat of Testors Dullcote.
In the UK we have had unseasonably good weather (even for late Spring), so I concentrated on using spray cans outdoors rather than the airbrush. As such the next stage was a base coat of Army Painter Uniform Grey. (By the way, I love my airbrush, but with the volume and area I was going to have to cover, aerosols seemed like a quicker and more convenient route for this project).
The next stage was an airbrush highlight with Vallejo Game Air Light Grey. I wasn’t too careful here, just tried to get a consistent highlight without worrying too much about the panels. The deep lines on the main body of the toy were panel lined using a medium tipped black Gundam Marker.
The weathering was done in stages with some brushed on streaking using Army Painter Strong Tone wash, some oil brush pens from ‘Ammo of Mig Jimenez‘ and then a bit more wash through the airbrush. Following this to tie it all together I used a can of Plastic Soldier Company ‘Light Brown’ Weathering spray. Now sadly out of productions these are water based weathering sprays that you apply and then partly wipe off to get a really grimy look (they are great for WW2 tanks).
I’ve concentrated initially on the upper half of the body. The lower half contains a bit more detail which according the the reference images I am using needs a bit more variation in colour and detail. That will be the next step, then following that onto the ‘storage solution’ part of the project.
All in all I am relatively pleased with the outcome so far. I think the grey colour scheme is actually a bit too dark when comparing to images of the ships from the films, but it will do for me. I may have gone a bit over the top on weathering, but I like the idea that this is a proper battered old ship that perhaps the Rebels have been reduced to using out of desperation. The one thing I will probably change when I come to starting the second ship is the approach to the panels on the hull which had stickers on. This time round I just sprayed over them and then coloured them red using a Gundam marker. I think the red is a bit too stark (plus the paint ran a bit), and also the stickers underneath did start to lift slightly.
So a bit of one down and one to go. Trying not to get distracted but I may just have got hold of an AT-AT or two (oh dear)….